Hello Forem Creators!
I'm pleased to announce another small improvement to the publishing experience: a new interface for searching and selecting tags 🎉
The base functionality of the selector hasn't changed too much - you should be able to click into the tags field, see suggestions of "Top tags" and type to search for the tag you want.
You can add a tag to your post by doing one of the following:
- Clicking a tag that appears as a suggestion in the dropdown
- Using the
Downarrow keys to highlight a suggestion and pressing
- Typing a
,or space after your tag name (e.g. typing "changelog,"
- Typing your tag name and simply clicking elsewhere in the page to "move away" from the selector
Once your tag is added, it should be clearly reflected in the UI as a set of buttons. Clicking the 'X' will remove the tag, and clicking the tag's text will put it into "edit mode" for you to make any changes.
If you are currently typing a long list of tags, you can also pop your previously added tag into "edit mode" by pressing
Backspace while you're in the empty text field.
We've had reports of various issues with the previous tag selector, which we believe this new version resolves. Particularly:
- It wasn't very clear when a tag had been successfully added
- If you added a lot of long tags, the field scrolled horizontally and became hard to read/edit
- The old selector created a "focus trap" on the page - when you used the keyboard to navigate through the form you would get stuck in the tags field
- It didn't provide any feedback to screen reader users, and didn't conform to a lot of accessibility best practices for this kind of component
We look forward to hearing how folks find the new tag selection experience, and if you have any feedback or questions please let us know!