Issue of SMTP was resolved and troubleshooting tips are at the bottom of this article; but still unable to reset values through admin panel
With this PR now you can unset the variables.
Few days ago when Forem introduced SMTP settings in the admin dashboard, I quickly configured it, but later realised that it is still not under functional state for self-hosting Forems.
Now when I was trying to unset these using the admin dashboard I was not able to do it, and some of my Forem community members who registered their account using email were not able to activate their accounts.
So, I would like to know how to resolve these issues.
- How to unset SMTP, by force if needed.
- Is there a way to activate users from admin panel?
Both the sendgrid and sendinblue SMTP details are working, I confirmed this by using the send_email feature with the admin panel. Also, the during the forget password the user was able to receive a password reset instructions.
- User was not able to receive any confirmation mail when using the confirm_email feature in the (Solved)
- In Authentication and in SMTP, once the value was assigned to a ENV variables(Like configuring, allowed email Domains or SMTP details) admin was not able to reset them to blank. (Need to be Resolved)
So, the issue can be resolved with one exception of unable to reset the values to "No Value". Like, unfortunately, I was not able to remove the domain restriction in signup.
- First make sure that your SMTP details are correct. I found this awesome SMTP tester tool during the troubleshooting process of my Forem.
- Unset and Re-SET the
default_emailfrom the server (cannot be done using Admin panel).
- If domain was not authenticated in send-grid, we should create a sender email within send-grid with the same email as of
default_emailand not as
- But there are some issues with previous users, but new users have no issues; so configuring SMTP as early as possible in Forem Admin setup should be encouraged.
As mentioned above and many times, the admin was not able to undo the changes to
Admin should have the ability to reset the changes he has done. Even though the problem with SMTP was resolved, I cannot remove domain restriction and added gmail as an acceptable domain(which is a bit weird)